4 February 19-25, 2026 miaminewtimes.com | browardpalmbeach.com NEW TIMES | MUSIC | CAFE | CULTURE | NIGHT+DAY | NEWS | LETTERS | CONTENTS | MONTH XX–MONTH XX, 2008 miaminewtimes.com MIAMI NEW TIMES | MUSIC | CAFE | FILM | ART | STAGE | NIGHT+DAY | METRO | RIPTIDE | LETTERS | CONTENTS | A MILLI A Miami jeweler sues Floyd Mayweather Jr. for a $1.4 million bling tab. BY NAOMI FEINSTEIN A Miami jeweler says re- tired boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. owes him millions of dollars for jewelry he purchased but allegedly never fully paid for. In a lawsuit filed in Miami-Dade County circuit court, AJ’s Jewelry alleges that May- weather, described as a regular customer for more than 17 years, stopped by the store twice in August 2025 and picked up 15 gold Cuban link chains, one gold bracelet, and 26 luxury gold and diamond Cartier, Rolex, Patek Philippe, and Audemars Piguet watches. The retired boxer asked to pay the $1.675 million he owed at a later date, the complaint (attached at the bottom of this story) alleges. “Because of the parties’ long-standing re- lationship and prior transactions, AJ’s Jew- elry reasonably believed and relied upon Mayweather’s promises to pay for the jewelry items that it took possession of in full,” the complaint states. Among the watch purchases are a stain- less steel $105,000 Patek Philippe 5711, a $105,000 Stainless Steel Patek Philippe Moon Phase 5726, and a $235,000 Yellow Gold Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual, ac- cording to invoices contained in the com- plaint. Mayweather’s attorney did not provide a statement by publication when reached by email. The Palmetto-Bay-based jewelry store, which first opened in 1993, is the go-to desti- nation for several professional athletes and celebrities. AJ’s Jewelry owner Anthony Machado, nicknamed the “King of Bling,” is perhaps best known as the designer of the Miami Hurricanes’ now-retired “Turnover Chain.” AJ’s Jewelry claims that Mayweather has paid a total of $300,000 through two separate wire transfers, one on August 21, 2025, and one on October 7, 2025. The lawsuit further alleges that Mayweather submitted five other checks between August and November that bounced. The store says it is still owed $1.375 million. “AJ’s Jewelry has repeatedly contacted Mayweather both orally and in writing to re- quest payment of the remaining balance for the jewelry,” the complaint reads. “Each time, Mayweather acknowledges the debt owed and promises to pay for the jewelry, then never sends the monies owed.” Last month, Miami-based jeweler Leon- ard Sulaymanov filed a federal lawsuit against Mayweather in the Southern District of Flor- ida, alleging that Mayweather failed to up- hold a January 2025 settlement agreement that resolved a 2024 federal lawsuit accusing the retired boxing star of failing to pay for $4 million in luxury watches and jewelry. As part of the settlement, according to the complaint, Mayweather and his close associ- ate, Jona Rechnitz, were obligated to pay an undisclosed sum in three installments. How- ever, Sulaymanov claims that Mayweather and Rechnitz have not complied with the agreement’s terms and have not made the payments on time. “Then on June 30, 2025, while failing to make the second installment payment, defen- dants Mr. Mayweather and Mr. Rechnitz were enjoying a vacation in the South of France and bragging about how much money they were spending,” the complaint reads. “Further evi- dencing Defendants’ arrogant, cavalier atti- tude about court cases, settlements, contracts, and monetary obligations, on November 26, 2025, while still being in default of the Con- tract, Mr. Mayweather posted this audacious photo behind millions in cash, saying he ‘just be minding [his] own business’ while ignoring his legal and contractual obligations.” [email protected] A Miami jeweler is suing Floyd Mayweather Jr. over allegedly unpaid luxury watches. Photo by Harry How / Getty Images | METRO | Safe Travels Human rights groups issue a travel warning for FIFA World Cup games in Florida. BY B. SCOTT MCLENDON L ast week, immigrant activists, civil rights groups, and local leaders issued a warn- ing to international travelers: a trip to Florida for the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2026 could be fraught with perils for non-citizens. The warning comes months after Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agents deployed to venues for the FIFA Club World Cup held across the United States last summer, including in Mi- ami, where several FIFA World Cup matches are planned for this summer. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) hasn’t given official word on whether U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents will patrol FIFA World Cup matches this summer. “Florida is no longer a safe destination for in- ternational tourists. When federal and local agents can detain anyone at any time without cause and without identifying themselves, every- one is at risk,” Florida Immigrant Coalition execu- tive director Tessa Petit said in a news release. “International visitors must ask themselves if a soccer match is worth the risk of being kid- napped and jailed until God-knows-when, in de- plorable conditions, by a secret police who is using racial profiling, judging people for how they look or their accent, and getting away with literal murder in the streets of our country. Such is the state of affairs in the United States and in Florida. We urge the international community to be aware of the risks before setting foot in Florida.” The advisory urges U.S. visitors to exercise “extreme caution, carry identification at all times, and register their travel with their consulate be- fore arrival. Until Florida restores accountability and transparency in its enforcement policies,” it continues, “tourists are strongly advised to re- consider travel to the state.” The groups warn that these dangers also ex- tend to U.S.-born citizens, citing several exam- ples of ICE detaining such residents. As Miami prepares to host matches this summer, the same enforce- ment tactics threaten to place international fans at risk (especially people of color, visitors from Latin America, Africa, and Asia), according to the news release. “In the country, international tourists have had harrowing experiences as some have been jailed for over a month with no due process, little to no access to lawyers or their consulates, and in abhorrent and inhumane conditions,” accord- ing to the news release. “In one example, a Mexi- can tourist had a valid tourist visa and a ticket to fly home. He was detained during a traffic stop in Orlando and sent to Alligator Alcatraz. He de- scribed the conditions there as inhumane. He was shackled inside the airplane in which he was sent back to Mexico, after his case garnered in- ternational attention.” Federal officials have shed little light on DHS enforcement plans at the upcoming tournament. In December 2025, Andrew Giuliani, the execu- tive director of the White House Task Force for the FIFA World Cup 2026, hosted international journalists for a press briefing about the tourna- ment. After appearing to dodge direct questions about whether ICE would be at the games, Gi- uliani said, “We’re having continuous conversa- tion with this. The one thing — and I’ve known the President for 25 years — the President does not rule out anything that will help make Ameri- can citizens safer.” [email protected] “WE URGE THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY TO BE AWARE OF THE RISKS BEFORE SETTING FOOT IN FLORIDA.”